***** UNAPPROVED MINUTES *****

PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES

June 4, 2003

7:30 PM

Jamestown Library

The meeting was called to order at 7:34 p.m. and the following members were present:

Gary Girard Andrew Kallfelz

Betty Hubbard Victor Calabretta

Jean MacGregor-Brown Barry Holland

Also present:

Lisa Bryer,AICP – Town Planner

Cinthia Reppe – Recording Clerk

Julio DiGiando – Town Council

Mike Swistak – Chamber of Commerce

Sterling Graham

Bill Munger

  1. Correspondence-nothing at this time
  1. Citizen’s Non Agenda Item-nothing at this time
  2. Reports
  1. Town Planner’s Report
  2. Town Planner Lisa Bryer asked the Planning Commission if they are going to take vacation for one of the July meetings this year as they have done in years past. Due to the parking plan and study, the Planning Commission decided to keep both July meetings this year. She also gave an update on the Grants that the Town has applied for as of today. Chairman Girard inquired about the nature of the grants submitted and the Planner reviewed a lengthy list of grants applied for.

    Ms. Bryer reported that the tenants have moved into the Town Owned house at 4 Grinnell St. that the Affordable Housing Committee has been working on for the past several months. She also informed the Planning Commission that she has a planning intern from URI named Sevia Phillips now working in the office for the summer. The Planning Commission would like Ms. Bryer to send correspondence requesting a joint meeting with the new Town Council at their convenience to discuss the Proposed Zoning Ordinance Amendments that the Planning Commission has been working on.

  3. Town Committees – nothing at this time
  4. Sub Committees – nothing at this time
  1. Old Business
  2. 1. Downtown Parking Plan Discussion

    A discussion ensued regarding the downtown parking plan and survey. Commissioner Hubbard suggested that the informal study that was done by Magratten and Todd be considered and Commissioner Girard suggested that Chief Tighe might have a copy of the study. Mike Swistak stated that the Chamber Parking survey should be done by June 11th. It was suggested that a physical count of available parking spaces be done. Commissioner Girard asked Town Councilor Julio DiGiando (member of the Harbor Management Commission) if the Commission was working on parking for those people with moorings. Councilor DiGiando stated that parking was for the most part not an element of the Harbor Management Plan. Commissioner Calabretta stated that there needs to be coordination with all waterfront uses and parking. The Harbor and Planning Commissions need a chance to discuss this at a joint meeting. The Harbor Management Plan needs to be consistent with the Comprehensive Plan. Town Planner Lisa Bryer stated that there should be 2 separate meetings between the Planning Commission and Harbor Management and Town Council.

    The Downtown Parking subcommittee worked on a "parking user" survey that will be distributed to the community and asked the Planning Commission to look it over and discuss any changes they would like to make. A discussion ensued and Bill Munger suggested that it be distributed to the Village Businesses. The Planning Commission agreed and was appreciative that the Chamber agreed to work with the downtown businesses in dissemination of this survey. There were a few suggestions made by the Planning Commission and Commissioner Kallfelz will work on this for the next meeting. Commissioner Holland suggested that we get 3-4 weeks of data. The Commission agreed that distribution should be the last week in June and the first two weeks in July. The Planning Commission discussed the residents in the problem areas that should not be overlooked. A survey might be mailed to them. The goal of this is to improve the existing parking utilization.

    A motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:25 p.m. was made by Commissioner Kallfelz and seconded by Commissioner Calabretta. So unanimously voted.

  3. New Business- nothing at this time

Attest:

Cinthia Reppe