JAMESTOWN BUILDING & FACILITIES COMMITTEE
September 28, 2001
To: Committee Members
All interested people
From; Bill Kimball
Public Works Barn Site
The September 26 meeting was structured to encourage ideas for new sites from Committee members and all others. Twenty people attended the meeting vs our normal four or five. No vote was taken but here is my summary of where we are:
- Sewer Plant. In my opinion. this is one of the leading candidates, We will have drawings for the next meeting on October 10. The barn could be located to the left of the existing driveway; constructed with split face block and a roof similar in pitch and color the existing sewer plant building. At this point the costs appear reasonable. The Town already owns the land and the zoning is suitable. Our neighbor is the Bridge Authority who are probably not going to object.
- Redevelopment of Ft Wetherill. While the existing barn site on the water is clearly not suitable, there is a site on the upper portion of this parcel to the west of the entry road that would work. Costs would be normal. From a professional planning viewpoint, this area is not ideal for an industrial use.
- Town Offices, Southwest Ave. This site will clearly work especially with seasonal equipment storage at the Transfer Station. On the other hand this valuable site could be sold with funds used to build a new Town building.
- State lot ajacent to Town soccer fields. This lot is for sale based on an auction procedure that is not well understood at this time. The location appears suitable with normal costs. This is a residential area and NIMBY opposition can be anticipated.
- Manning lot adjacent to cemetery on Cedar Street. This lot would be acceptable.
It is listed for sale at an asking price of $600,000 which seems out of our price range.
- Toll Booth garage. This location has merit and the Bridge Authority is being contacted. Somehow, I do not think this candidate will survive.
- State owned lot to the north of the Police Station. Plat 7, Lot 171. Based on a drive-by this would be an excellent location. The ownership issue is being investigated.
- Distributor Building on Narragansett Ave. Definitely a "possible".
- Lot 47 adjacent to former Town Dump. This Town owned site was unanimously recommended by a prior committee but no further action was ever taken. Objectively, the site is a substantial distance from the center of town. We will vote on this site although I cannot count four votes based on current comments. It does appear that the adjacent Transfer Station site could be used for seasonal storage at minimal cost.
- Taylor Point. Another rejected site.
- An unspecified location off the Island. An interesting idea without public support.
Norma Willis spoke to the Committee and stressed the need for financial prudence. Her comments were timely and well received. One obvious advantage of the Sewer plant site is that it would free up Town owned land at (1) Ft Wetherill, (2) Lot 47 and (3) Southwest Ave collectively might raise close to $1 million to be used for construction of a new Town Administrative Building.
The interest of the Jamestown PRESS is greatly appreciated. They have been a major factor in generating community interest and ideas.
This memo is meant to focus your thinking. We will vote on at least all of the above well prior to our Holiday gathering on December 12.